Monday, September 3, 2012

Time

This AM my friend Bethanie and I completed our morning ritual - Starbucks followed by a run in Central Park.  Granted, this is only day two of our ritual, and since it won't continue on tomorrow, I suppose it's no ritual at all.  But I do supspect we'll be covening for coffee and running every so often this fall.

This morning as we walked in the park, sipping on our Starbucks, I asked Bethanie what irritates or frustrates her the most.  I'm not sure why I asked, but I'm glad I did, because I learned she is a timely person.  She gets frustrated when people are uber late - like 1/2 hour to an hour or more. 

Funny thing is, I would have thought she would be one of those late people.  A lot of my close friends fall into that category.  We'll make plans, and then I'll sit around waiting and wondering if that person values me at all.  Because if they did, I would think they'd at least text or call to say they're running late and perhaps be apologetic when they arrive well after our set meeting time.

Ever since my trip to Uganda, I've been processing my understanding of time.  Because, we, as Westerners view time much differently than much of Africa. 

I explained this to my Ugandan Co-leader when we were in Africa...



No comments: