Sunday, September 23, 2012

Directional Dysfunction

I recently shared with one of my guy friends that if I ever get married, rather than an engagement ring, the guy should probably just get me a GPS system.  I explained, a GPS system would probably more beneficial for our marriage, because I get lost and turned around A LOT. 

I'm the worst directionally challenged person I know, and still have to say never eat shredded wheat to be reminded which way is east, and which way is west.  For some reason north and south has always been easy for me to remember, but east and west is a whole difference ball game.  Although, now that I've lived on both the east and west coast, I'm starting to get better in knowing which way is which, without having to talk about not eating a cereal that I actually like. 

But when I first moved to So Cal 7 years ago, I'd occasionally tell people I lived 45 minutes west of LA.  To live this far west of LA would be difficult to maneuver because it would involve living in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.  Which, actually, for a short time frame, I wouldn't mind living on a house boat. 

Tonight was one of those night where I was nearly half way home, but somehow, rather than getting on my next Freeway, I ended up accidentally circling back and returned nearly 30 miles in the direction I had just come from.  Needless to say, rather than taking an hour and 15 minutes to get home, it took me 2 hour and 15 minutes to get home.

But while I was driving around aimlessly, I got in a good phone conversation with a friend.  And so my time and gas lost, didn't seem so bad.  In fact, my friend told me, "I'm glad your driving around in the middle of nowhere." 
And actually, I'm glad it happened too, because I encouraged my friend, and she probably neeeded it.  And she knows I'm not one to throw out flippant encouragement.  Typically it takes me a lot intentionality, but tonight it didn't.  The words just came, and I didn't stumble in trying to think of what to say, because it just flowed out of my belief in her. 

Anyway, with all that been having said, maybe my future husband should get me a ring rather than a GPS system after all.  Because maybe God wants to use my directional dysfunction in mysterious ways to be a blessing to others.

No comments: