Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Vegas Part I

It use to be said, "What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."  We all know this saying no longer holds true, and the more accurate statement is "What happens in Vegas gets posted on facebook."  But in my experience, "What happens in Vegas ends up on ESPN."  The first time I stay the night in Vegas ever, and ESPN goes and puts me on air.  They even announce my name - first and last - Katrina Blank. 

The reason for the exposure: around this time a year ago I ended up at the World Series of Poker on my drive from LA back to NYC.  My professional poker playing friend Bryan Devonshire (aka Devo) was doing exceptionally well when I arrived in Vegas, so I stuck around to watch him work his way up the ranks to finish 12th in the world.

Bryan and I met 10 years ago when we both worked at a summer camp in Southern California called Forest Home.  That summer he introduced me to surfing and In-N-Out Hamburgers.  Post college at USC, Bryan worked in camping ministry for a bit, but eventually switched over to professional poker playing.  We've stayed in touch over the years, and last March (2011) I met up with him and his near fiance (also one of my good friends from Forest Home) in Hawaii. 

To be continued...

No comments: