Monday, August 13, 2012

Swan Gazing

Today when I returned from my run, I found my parents sitting down at the beach staring out at the lake, swan gazing.  It seemed perfect  - like the way it's supposed to be - like it is in The Notebook.  Growing old together and loving another one person until the end.



This evening I discovered a couple I know is now divorced and I'm a bit dumbfounded by the news.  I just don't "get" divorce - especially when two people share the same faith.  With the parents I have, divorce seems like such a foreign concept.

I've only had one close girl friend go through divorce, but I have a close guy friend who has had nearly a dozen close guy friends get divorced.  This couple I discovered tonight is one of them.  Needless to say, this guy friend of mine has just a few hesitancies when it comes to marriage - understandably so.

It seems like research would have love and marriage down to a science by now - for people to know whether or not it's a good idea for them to get married. 

But in the end, it's a matter of choice - of choosing to stick things through even when things suck.  And when things suck, you suck it up, and keep going.  At least that's how I feel about marriage, but I've never been married so I can't speak from life-learned expertise.  Boo on divorce.  :(

No comments: