Friday, October 5, 2012

The Vagabond

For the past 36 days and 36 nights, I've bounced from one location to the next... living out of my car and laying my head down at night at over 18 locations in 8 different cities... never staying in the same home for more than 2 nights in a row... 

According to Wikipedia and Dictionary.com, my existence has become that of a Vagabond.

Today I moved into what will be some sort of semblance of home for the next 16 nights.  A 2 and 1/2 week stay any where is a far cry from home, but at least it's a consistent place for me to sleep and write for a decent time frame, and for that, I'm especially grateful..

On my afternoon run through Central Park, the song Home by Mumford and Sons, came on over my little AM/FM radio. 

As I listened to the lyrics, "Settle down, it'll all be clear" I couldn't help but wonder if perhaps that is what God is asking me to do here in NYC.  I've told many I'm thinking of moving back to LA in after the New Year, but now, I'm not so certain...

Lyrics to Home :
Hold on, to me as we go
As we roll down this unfamiliar road
And although this wave is stringing us along
Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

Settle down, it'll all be clear
Don't pay no mind to the demons
They fill you with fear
The trouble it might drag you down
If you get lost, you can always be found

Just know you’re not alone
Cause I’m going to make this place your home

Perhaps my time in NYC is intended to be more than a 2 year stint. Perhaps it's time to make this place my home. 

Acoording to Wikipedia

A vagrant or a vagabond is a person, often in poverty, who wanders from place to place without a home or regular employment or income. Other synonyms include "tramp", "hobo", "schnorrer".

According to Dictionary.com

vag·a·bond 

 
adjective
1. wandering from place to place without any settled home; nomadic: a vagabond tribe.
2. leading an unsettled or carefree life.
3. disreputable; worthless; shiftless.
4. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a vagabond: vagabond habits.
5. having an uncertain or irregular course or direction: a vagabond voyage.

noun
6. a person, usually without a permanent home, who wanders from place to place; nomad.
7. an idle wanderer without a permanent home or visible means of support; tramp; vagrant.
8. a carefree, worthless, or irresponsible person; rogue.

 

No comments: