Thursday, November 4, 2010

Xena Princess Warrior

Someone texted me around 1 am this morning inquiring, “are you still on ca time?”

I texted back, “kind of – im now living in nyc – but have been staying up til 3 or 4 most nights… what’s up?”

Evidently that someone (i.e. a long, lost ex), didn’t get the memo that I had moved to NYC. To be honest, I was somewhat hoping to lose him in my cross country move – but only because I still owe him a beer from a competition that I lost a while ago. At this point I’d prefer not to buy him one, but we both agreed on the beer wage that was bet and since I lost, it’s only fair that I do.

A few minutes after the texting, a different “he” started a facebook conversation with me:

He - hey night owl

Me - ah yes, it’s true. i’m nocturnal.

He - i picture you as a vampire

Me - as a vampire – eh? as in buffy?

He - you are not that tough

Me - lol… and i won’t claim to be…

Mainly because I still hate that 12 years ago my second hottest guy friend compared me to Xena Princess Warrior – a character from a television show that I’ve never seen, but that apparently aired from 1995 to 2001. I think the Xena idea came to him one evening while we were at summer camp, playing a game called M&M Wars. I was wearing face paint and running through the woods on a mission to find a silver bucket without being captured and detained by enemy forces (i.e. 8 to 10 year old boys and their attractive 18 to 24 year old counselors.) Gosh, I miss the days of summer camp – and all the good looking guys that worked there…

But being called Xena - even if it was only a few times - is something that I do not miss. I know Xena was a princess and all, but the word warrior has too many masculine connotations attached to it for me to agree to it – I don’t want to be considered manly. Now Pocahontas, on the other hand, I proudly accepted that name.

No comments: