Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Christian Erotica?

I've been working on my masters for, oh, about 7 years now. My degree can be completed in 2, but since the school told me I could take up to 10 years, I thought I’d at least take 8 - perhaps 9.
To be honest, it’s a degree that I really don’t want, but that I know I ought to have because it’s good for me and for my resume. It’s kind of like eating broccoli when you’re a kid – except when I was a kid I found ways to get around actually eating the broccoli. Sometimes I’d put it in my mouth and then, after pretending to chew it for a few moments, I’d spit it out in my napkin. Other times I’d save it for the end of my meal, put it in my mouth, and then once I was dismissed from the dinner table I’d run outside and spit it out in the bushes. My parents never discovered my bad broccoli behavior.

But you can’t really hide a Masters degree in a napkin, or spit the content out in your backyard. You actually have to study, do research, write papers, and take exams. I hate every moment of it and would rather clean up puke every day for the rest of my life than be in graduate school. But I’m still in it, and it has been a long and painful process.

But sometimes the work isn’t all that bad, and some days I actually learn a thing or two that is helpful in the grander scheme of life. In fact, this semester I’m doing a directed study in which I’m receiving credit to research and write papers about the book publishing industry.

Today, in my research, I stumbled across the following paragraph:

"Two of the hottest categories in fiction today are Christian fiction and erotica. As a writer you would be ill advised to attempt to combine these two categories in the same book; the former has strict rules prohibiting sexual depictions (or even touching below the neck), while the latter has strict expectations that all can and must be bared. What’s especially interesting is that both categories have exploded at the same time, and that both have sparked a proliferation of subgenres: erotica suspense, Christian suspense, erotica science fiction, Christian science fiction, etc. But this is great news for writers in those categories and subgenres."

This paragraph is from a credible source called Writer’s Market Guide to Getting Published. And well, I found the paragraph to be especially funny, and I thought you might too.

No comments: