Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Raw Conversations

2 days ago I turned 34, and today my niece Bryn turned 4.  Since I couldn't be present to celebrate in person, I skped into my sister's home for a bit this evening.  And one of the first things my sister says is, "Your boobs look smaller!  Did you get a breast reduction or something?  Or maybe it's just the shirt you're wearing." 
She was correct in her latter assumption rather than the first.  And I replied, "Only you could make such a statement."  Because in my family such a statement is understood to be compliment - because as genetics would have it, we have more than enough up top.  As my brother so poignantly stated over a family dinner a few years ago, "That's just how it is in the Blank family.  Big hands, big tits, and no a**."

There's something about the rawness of family conversations.  I wouldn't necessarily call it beautiful, but I do appreciate the honesty.  And in my family, there is often a playfulness tied to the honesty rather than a hurtfulness...

The best part of family is being known, and knowing that those people will stick by you through life no matter what... or at least that's how it is for me in my family context.

However, I know that's not how it is for everyone...


Tonight I hosted a small group in my apartment.  NYC is a city where many 20 and 30somethings live alone - without family.  And so this idea of church family...

No comments: