Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Dad Gets Published!

Today's blog post is brought to you by my dad.  When I returned home from my run this afternoon my dad excitedly exclaimed, "Katrina, I got published!"

He waved about a book called Real Life Real Miracles - true stories that will help you believe.  My dad explained that James Garlow and Keith Wall compiled several hundred miracle stories, and they included one of his stories in the mix. 

I took a closer look at the book - it was legit.  Not one of those self-publishing doings, but rather quality design, and published by Bethany House, a subdivision of Baker Publishing Group.

So here it is, my Dad's story: Financial Aid From the "Bank of Heaven"

At a church I pastored, a young couple attended with their four children, participating faithfully, tithing regularly.  The man had a job in a local factory.

One evening they came to see me.  They had purchased a house in the past year to meet their expanding family needs.  They thought they'd checked out all the costs involved before committing.  However, to their shock, an unforeseen assessment had just been levied on their property for $2,000, due within the month.  They didn't know what to do.

I didn't know either.  I had less than $100 in my discretionary account.  I said a prayer with them, asking God to provide. 

A couple of days later, I received a call from a wealthy member who said he wanted to catch up on his tithe.  He explained he hadn't fully tithed the past few years while paying his children's way through college.  He intended to make a donation of $10,000!

Right before the Sunday service, he walked in and said, "As I was writing out the check, it occurred to me that you might like part of this to go into your discretionary fund.  Would that be all right?"

I assured him it would be appreciated.  He handed me a check for $2,000. 

I could hardly wait for the service to end.  When it did, I grabbed the couple and led them into a side room.  "You're not going to believe this," I said.  "I have the money for you."  I explained that someone had given me the exact amount they needed.

Needless to say they were overjoyed.  And while I never told the donor who they were, he likewise was overjoyed to know that God had used him to bless a Christian family in need.

- Richard Blank, Onsted, Michigan

Funny, how this is right on topic with what I wrote about yesterday... hmmm...

No comments: