Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Confetti


Confession: I use to cut confetti for fun. I blame it on my 4th grade teacher's insistence of the three Rs - Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle. So, for most of 5th and 6th grade, as I watched television, I would cut up old school worksheets, reusing the paper by creating confetti.
I mention this because the other night I saw an awful lot of confetti at Times Square.



However, I can't say that I saw the ball drop. I know that sounds kind of lame to spend New Year's in New York and not do Times Square, but I didn't feel like dehydrating myself nor did I want to attempt to "hold it" for 12 hours in order to claim a viewing spot and keep it.

However, I did make it back from Brooklyn in time to walk up Broadway and ring in the California New Year in Times Square.

Interestingly enough, January 1, 2011 at 3 am was the most empty I've ever seen Times Square. There was plenty of confetti and trash littering the streets, but there were few people, aside from clean up crews and police, that were out and about by 42nd Street.

Yet I still met someone there - at about 3:03 am...

And he called today...

No comments: