Friday, January 14, 2011

Choose Your Own Adventure

When I was in elementary school there was this book series I loved to read called Choose Your Own Adventure.

Wikipedia explains, (since I'm too lazy to), "Each story is written from a second-person point of view, with the reader assuming the role of the protagonist and making choices that determine the main character's actions in response to the plot and its outcome."

The book covers exclaim, "You're the Star of The Story!" and that you get to choose from 30 (sometimes more) possible endings.

Several years ago I heard Erwin McManus give the same talk twice - and both times he handed out chess pieces to remind everyone




Every day we are given the opportunity to choose our own adventure. And most days, there is little adventure at all, and for some, months, or even years pass by without some sort of sense of anything... except perhaps boredom, or routine, or

This evening I chatted (on facebook) with an aquaintance who I met on a ski lift last winter while snowboarding in Southern Calfornia. He currently lives in Louisiana and creates special effects for a living. (In a couple of weeks if you watch the movie The Mechanic, you can even see his name appear on the screen when the credits role.)

Today just so happens to be his birthday and he informed me, "I celebrated by jumping in a 40 degree lake with 40 degree air outside right at the minute I was born. It was . . . brisk."

I'm not recommending that you choose to catch pneumonia or hypothermia in your attempts to live an adventuresome life, but I am saying that maybe we need to consider switching things up from time to time - doing something out of our comfort zone, or...

No comments: