Sunday, September 5, 2010

Craigslist Missed Connection

New York Craigslist > Manhattan > Personals > Missed Connections

Runner in the Rain on 5th Avenue – (Midtown)

Dear 5th Avenue Runner,
It was exactly two weeks ago (Sunday afternoon, August 22nd) that our paths crossed somewhere between 34th and 59th Streets. I was heading south, returning home from Central Park and I’m inclined to believe that you were on your way to Central Park. We were both drenched from head to toe, and I’d imagine, quite the sight to see as we both continued pounding the pavement through the downpour.

We were the ONLY ones on the sidewalk because everyone else, even those with umbrellas, had taken cover in stores and under awnings. But not you and I, we continued on our way, enjoying our run though the summer rain. As we passed, we exchanged smiles, acknowledging our ridiculousness for pressing on through the torrential rains.

I suspect that you’re not married, because if you were, your wife would have cautioned you from going out for a run on such a precarious afternoon - and you would have probably listened to her. But instead you went out, knowing very well that it was rather probable that you would return home soaked. And I think that is why I could potentially like you.

* For the record, no, I didn’t post this on Craigslist, but I have to admit, I was tempted.

No comments: