Saturday, September 11, 2010

Dream Job on the 93rd Floor

* I originally wrote this piece several years ago, and although I have already posted it at least twice before, I feel it's important that I continue to edit this piece and to tell the story. Because it may impact someone else's story - perhaps even your own. With that having been said, here is Dream Job on the 93rd Floor.

On a day like today I think of college football and my time at the University of Michigan. But more than that, I think of a girl who lived in my Residence Hall.

Her name was Meredith and she longed for a Titanic romance – not one involving a tragic death, but rather one in which she would meet a handsome, young man on a cruise ship. She lived down the hall and to be quite honest, at times she was difficult to love, but we chose to love her anyway.

My friends Emily, Michelle, and I frequently invited her to our small group where we'd take time each week to talk about Scripture, faith, and life and how the three are interwoven together. But Meredith always declined our invitations, using the excuse that she needed to study. Michigan’s business school was ranked #1 in the nation at the time and she wanted to be certain to get in.

I remember one particular evening, when Meredith was taking a study break, that she stopped in at my room. I had been reading, but I set my book aside so that we could talk. After exchanging hello’s and how are you’s, Meredith glanced down and noticed the book I had been studying wasn’t an academic textbook; it was the Bible.She started to tell me that she’d like to read the Bible someday, and possibly explore Christianity, but it wouldn’t be anytime soon. She explained to me that she didn’t have the time and that she needed to focus on her studies so she could get into the business school. After all, Meredith dreamed of a high paying job and vacations on cruise ships.

Meredith made it into the B School and even before receiving her diploma she was offered her dream job in New York. After graduation she moved to the city and settled into her office, located on the 93rd floor. She booked a cruise for the month of September, but she never got to go on it; she never had the chance to meet her Prince Charming.

Meredith’s dream job was located on the 93rd floor of the North Tower of the World Trade Center.

I’ve been to Ground Zero a few times since it happened, and a few summers ago I located a memorial bench for Meredith on Michigan’s campus. I think what haunts me the most, is that I don’t know where Meredith stood with God when the Towers crumbled to the ground. And I don’t necessarily know where each of you reading this stands with God, but I do know that our time “here” is limited and that the Creator of the universe desperately desires a relationship with you.

If you’ve been putting off getting to know God, please don’t any longer. Meredith had her excuse. What is yours?

If you’re already a follower of Christ, how closely are you following? How are you doing in loving those around you?

To be honest, I'm somewhat hesitant to repost this piece, because I feel like this message could be perceived as a turn or burn scare tactic (i.e. get right with God or go to hell). I promise that's not my intention. My intention is that you might take time to consider what is important in life, and to consider allowing Jesus to make your life even more beautiful, adventuresome, and radiant. That is, after all, what He has done for me. He desires the same for you.

No comments: