Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Great Expectations

When I was in high school I was assigned to read the novel Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.

I can't remember at all what the book was about, but I do remember talking to my Dad about the text, and him telling me that he didn't like the book - that he had all these great expectations going into reading the book, only to be disappointed by its content. I'd imagine that I was less than satisfied with the book as well, but I don't think I had any expectations going into the read. It was English class, so if anything, I expected to be bored.

Tonight I posed on my facebook status the question, if God asked you the question, "what do you want me to do for you?" (mark 10:51), how would you reply?

It got me thinking, that more often than not, we don't pose our requests and hopes to God. I think, for fear that we'll be let down. Perhaps we subliminally think that if we place no expectations, than we'll be safeguarded from disappointment.

But what if we're missing out on more that God has and wants to offer us - because we didn't ask.

The thing is, with God - the God of the universe - we should have Great Expectations. We should be expectant.

On Sunday my pastor posed the questions:
As we enter the season of Lent, what are your expectations of Jesus?

What are you hoping for in him?

How can our lives be different because of him?

No comments: