Sunday, October 27, 2013

Kryptonite Part II

That morning as I walked east down 32nd street, I considered, once again, I'm going to an important appointment alone.  I'm use to doing life alone - not that it gets any better or easier with time, but by 35, you accept aloneness as a way of life.

A block away from my destination I see a guy I know from church walking toward me.  We're both surprised and delighted to see each other, and stop to exchange hugs and hellos.

He explains to me he lives in the neighborhood and is on his way to work, and I explain to him I'm on my way to a doctor's appointment.

"Are you okay?"  He inquired, expressing sincere concern. 

"That's what I'm going to find out.  I'm just making sure I'm good.  But hey, I have to get going so I'm not late, but good running into you." 

"You too.  Hope everything is okay.  I'll be praying." 

"Thanks." 

I didn't know the guy well enough to say, "Hi.  I'm on my way to the gynecologist.  I'm terrified.  I have a lump in my left breast, and it could be cancerous."  Regardless, it was comforting to run into a familiar face, and I was reminded that even when I stand alone as a single woman, my church family stands with me.
----------------------------

* The good news is, I don't have cancer AND with the right iron pills my body will thank me by easing up on the headaches and fatigue.  I simply wasn't getting the oxygen I needed when I switched the brand of iron pills I was taking.

I'm hopeful once more that I'm back in the city to stay!

No comments: